Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Dance Recital

 


Last Sunday I attended the dance performance of the little pink dress girl. The anti- coronavirus spread safety measures were strict.  It was held in a large hall, distanced seating, masks required, hand sanitizer, temperature checks, the whole nine yards. The tickets even had a tear off with name and contact information on the back in case contact tracing would be necessary after the show. 


The performance was nearly three hours long, with two 15 minute intermissions. There were some longer pieces that included all of the students of the school, from the little bitties to the girls on point. There were other pieces that looked like they involved just the students in one class level. You can't imagine how happy I was to be invited to this program!  I took dance classes for many years - ballet, jazz, tap, and modern.  I was in a few performances.  Here is a photo from one when I was about 25 years old in Boone, North Carolina. 




When I moved to a new place, I looked for a new dance school. I took classes at Western Illinois University and Appalachian State University, as well as private dance schools.  My favorite teacher was Toni Intravaia in Carbondale, Illinois, who died in 2018 at age 95, dancing and teaching until the end. She wrote me newsy letters after I moved to Japan. Here is a PBS interview with her at age 90. A really remarkable woman. 




Attending the dance performance was a little nostalgic, and it also gave me great happiness to see the young dancers.

5 comments:

kiwikid said...

It sounds like the perfect outing for you.

Jeanie said...

Oh, it must have felt wonderful to be at a performance -- and then dance, which is clearly so special to you. You are from Boone? That's a wonderful spot! Rick's dad spends the summer in Banner Elk on Sugar Mountain and we always spend time in Boone! Isn't it fabulous to have a wonderful teacher and whose input sticks with you forever?

Queeniepatch said...

I am so happy for you.
I took dance lessons when I was a little bitty one. Ever since then I have loved watching others dance. Several of my students have invited me to their performances and I have loved every one of them.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Oh how lovely. My Mum did ballet when she was younger but she grew too tall too soon apparently. Since Dad retired they have been able to travel to London to see some amazing performances, something they could never afford when we were growing up.

Leonore Winterer said...

I miss dancing - We used to take classes together but they don't do any at the moment due to the pandemic. That picture of you is stunning! I'm sure that performance was fun to watch.