Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Labor Day in Japan

Emperor Naruhito, harvesting rice, November 2020

Today is a national holiday in Japan - Labor Day. This is the modern name for the ritual of the Harvest Festival, known as Niinamesai.  This festival goes back to at least November 678, according the the Chronical of Japan, one of the oldest histories of Japan.  In the ritual, the Emperor makes the season's first offering of freshly harvested rice to the gods, then eats the rice himself. 


During the Meiji era (1868 - 1912) Niinamesai was held November 23rd and was a recognized national event. After World War II, this day was established to mark the fact that fundamental human rights were guaranteed and the rights of workers were greatly expanded in the postwar constitution. The name was changed from Niinamesai, but the Emperor still takes part in the rice offering ritual on this day. 


Most people now are happy to have a holiday, even if they don't reflect on the history of it. I have many things I could do today, but so far no special plans. I am thankful that I have the job that I have and can reflect on that.

5 comments:

diamondc said...

Pamela: very interesting information, I am a nut for history, I just wish more world and local history was being taught like I grew up learning.
I am happy you have a job so many people quit their jobs last month here in the USA over 700,000 did, there are so many business's in need of help, some think it is easier to get a check without working.

Have a beautiful day
Catherine

Vireya said...

Enjoy your Labour Day!

Jeanie said...

What an interesting history and ritual. And you get a day off. We have TG coming up soon -- a turkey got pardoned.

Queeniepatch said...

You know so much. I never connected the Emperor's offering of new rice with Labor Thanksgiving Day.
I am also so grateful I have a job and thankful that I can manage it well.
I will also be thankful that I can put some Labor of Love into my quilting today!

Leonore Winterer said...

I like the history of the holiday. Harvest festivals are something that seems to tie all cultures together.