Sunday, February 27, 2022

Top Cat Names 2022

This sweet cat is no longer with us. Her name was Monica, which is my favorite cat name.





I'm always interested in what people name their pets.  In Japan, the Japanese pet insurance company, Anicom, announces the top names each year.  Of the 55,000 cats less than one year of age, they have compiled these listings for cats from the last 12 months. 


Overall top ten names

10. Moka (“mocha”): 245 cats

9. Maron (French for “chestnut”): 252 cats
8. Momo (Japanese for “peach”): 260 cats
7. Runa (Luna): 266 cats
6. Kinako (Japanese for “roasted soybean flour”): 289 cats
5. Rin (Japanese for “bell”): 298 cats
4. Koko (“cocoa”): 323 cats
3. Reo (Leo): 327 cats
2. Sora (Japanese for “sky”): 376 cats
1. Mugi (Japanese for “wheat” or “barley”): 479 cats


The top four are the same as last year.  The only new name this year is Moka (Mocha). 


Top ten names for male cats

10. Ten (Japanese for “dot” or “heavens”): 138 cats
8 [tie]. Reon (Leon): 140 cats
8 [tie]. Fuku (Japanese for “good fortune”): 140 cats
7. Maru (Japanese for “circle,” also a common suffix in Japanese names): 143 cats
6. Kotetsu (Japanese for “small iron,” also a classical masculine given name in Japan): 150 cats
5. Maron: 152 cats
4. Kohaku (Japanese for “amber”): 158 cats
3. Mugi: 269 cats
2. Sora: 287 cats
1. Reo: 319 cats


Leo (Reo) has been the top name for the fifth year in a row. The second and third place names stayed the same as last year, but the fourth place Kohaku, meaning Amber, is new. 


Top ten names for female cats


10. Beru (“bell”): 137 cats
9. Moka: 158 cats
8. Hana (Japanese for “flower”): 166 cats
7. Mei (Japanese for “brightness”): 175 cats
6. Kinako: 203 cats
5. Mugi: 210 cats
3 [tie]. Runa (Luna): 233 cats
3 [tie]. Rin: 233 cats
2. Momo: 234 cats
1. Koko: 242 cats


The name Koko moved from last year's third place to first place this year.  The only new name in this year's top ten is Beru. 


Do you have a favorite cat name?

10 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I thought #6 on the top list was funny. Nope, no cats for me. You might guess that since I love birds, lol. I don't have a favorite dog name either. I named Bosco that because he was brown and I used to drink Bosco milk drink when I was little. A name just jumps in my mind and that's it. Monica was a pretty kitty.
xx, Carol

Queeniepatch said...

I guess the many names based on food items actually refer to colour. Also kinako (roasted soybean powder) ends with ko, a most common suffix in girl's name, the meaning is small. So as cats are small, ko is a good part to add to the name. In the past cats were often called Tama (ball), maybe because they curl up in a ball when they sleep, or like playing with balls.

kiwikid said...

Interesting names. I had a kitten many years ago called Smudge, he was white, grey and splashes of ginger.

BeingBored89 said...

All the names on the list are cute! Our cats are named Kraven (craven because she was so scared when we found her and changed it to K for kitty...we thought we were clever...), Ginger (we were told it was a girl but actually was a boy and the name just stuck), and Scotty (after the Star Trek character).

Anonymous said...

I like dogs but Monica is cute.😆What is the origin of the name Monica?😺

Mary V said...

I am a cat person..always give people names to my cats. One exception, I already had two cats but wanted another. I went to the rescue and picked up another kitten. When my husband came home he used an English expression ( he was English, still is just not my husband any more ) I digress. He said we need another cat “like a frog needs side pockets” thus the cat was called side pockets!

Lauriejo said...

Rhiannon was my first cat as an adult, I loved that name (can the cat). The cat we have now was adopted shortly after my son started studying Japanese. So he named him Neko, seemed appropriate.

Jeanie said...

My favorite cat name is Lizzie! Well, I'm biased!

These are interesting and very beautiful. Your Monica was a real beauty. What a lovely cat. I enjoyed this.

crazyQstitcher said...

As a Tot, I had a cat called Ting-a-ling..that's close to your No.5 Rin.
A female, which was similar to the third photo. She often used to lay a dead mouse at the front door, Mum removed it but the cat found and deposited it at the back door... LOL not the same mouse.

Leonore Winterer said...

Monica was such a pretty cat!
Most of those names are really cute, but I think 'Kinako' and 'Mugi' are a little strange.