Thursday, February 17, 2022

Iga Ueno Castle

After Hyogo, the next stop was Ninja territory in Mie Prefecture.



The last train was the special "One Man" Ninja Train.






The inside was also ninja themed.





Iga Ueno Castle is walking distance from the train station.





History Notes from J-Castle

Takigawa Katsutoshi started construction of Iga Ueno Castle in 1585. He was followed by Tsutsui Sadatsugu who built the honmaru and three level main keep. After the Battle of Sekigahara (1608), Sadatsugu's lands were confiscated by the Tokugawa and given to Todo Takatora. Todo Takatora initiated a great renovation of the castle to fortify the defenses against a resurgance of Toyotomi's followers. The new design created a new honmaru, the huge stone walls and completely engulfed the original castle. After the destruction of the Toyotomi, however, the renovation plans were mostly abandoned and the main keep, which was destroyed by high winds, was never rebuilt.




Shoes had to be removed to visit this museum inside the castle, and again there were no crowds and the visit was very safe.





There was a wonderful hina doll exhibit on the first floor.











There were many interesting historical items and a few ninjas.


























Castle picture made from postage stamps.












From the castle, we followed this road to the Ninja Museum - next post.





If you are interested in Japanese Castles, you can find links to other castle visits I've made on my Japanese Castle page.

6 comments:

Vireya said...

Ninjas gave me nightmares when I was a kid. I must have seen them on TV at someone's place (we didn't have a TV).

The castle and the museum look interesting, but the ninjas would have freaked me out.

kiwikid said...

And you found a ninja!! Amazing place to visit. The amount of detail on the dolls is stunning.

diamondc said...

Pamela: This by far the nicest post of a castle and museum, I love the trains and the artwork.
It is amazing the history that is kept in so many areas of Japan
I love Ninja, that is a cute Ninja against the rock wall.

Catherine

Anonymous said...

It's a very attractive place.
🏯🥷

Hina dolls are also nice.
I had a seven-tiered Hina doll that my grandparents bought for me. I decoration it with my mother every year. It's a delicate doll,so I was nervous and decorated it. Clean up as soon as the Hinamatsuri is over.Because there is a jinx that delays the marriage of girls if you decorated it for a long time.
But as a kid,I heard that I cried to my mother to see more.
The Hina doll was inherited by my female cousin.Now my cousin decorates with her daughter.
🎎

Jeanie said...

I love the little train! This might be one of my favorites of those you've shared with so many intriguing artifacts. It's really beautiful. I love it was close to the station. I can't believe how much you packed into your vacation!

Queeniepatch said...

So many fantastic things to look at, the castle picture made out of postage stamps is one of them.