Friday, February 11, 2022

Pandemic Statistics

I saw these charts from the New York Times and found them interesting. 


The first one is cumulative deaths per capita during the omicron wave. Japan is very low so far. I realize omicron isn't over yet and started later in Japan than in some other places.





The second is cumulative deaths per capita throughout the pandemic. Again, Japan is quite low.





I used this as a talking exercise in some of my English classes. My students like to give their opinions on different topics. 


Most of my students are certain it is because people in Japan always wear masks. Playing devil's advocate, I point out that we don't know for sure how careful other countries are with mask wearing. (Maybe we have an idea about some countries). A few of my students said Japanese people may have been exposed to other previous corona viruses and have some immunity as a result. That sounds like an interesting reason and may be true, I don't know. Also, a high percentage of people in Japan have had two vaccination doses, and the third booster shots are now rolling out.  


Personally, I think all three may be reasons, but in addition, it may be due to cultural reasons. Japanese people are considerate of others and have a team or community way of thinking, instead of an individual freedom way of thinking. Japanese law does not permit "lockdowns" like the kind used in many other countries. Instead, we are under "quasi state of emergency" when the number of infections get high.  This means the government asks people to stay home if they can, not to travel into other prefectures, and for restaurants to close earlier than usual and not to serve alcohol. And the thing is, most people do it!  It is getting harder as the pandemic continues, but in Japan, there are no mask or vaccination mandates or violence like I see on the news from other places. I'm thankful to be in this safe place. 


Is your country represented on these two charts? What do you think? 

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I saw the same charts and much as I hate to say it, I certainly agree with the US stuff. It's pathetic.

Mylene said...

we just came out 0f lockdown after nearly a couple of months almost all closed. still lots are infected with the new virus but not really sick compared to when it started.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

There are so many social side effects of this whole pandemic here in the US. People don't want to work away from home. That affects the businesses that have relied on workers patronage for shopping and eating and transportation. There are so many things to be concerned about but honestly one of the highest on my list is education. Learning at home didn't work out too well for one of my great grands who struggles with attention deficit anyway. I can only wonder how these kids will be when they are grown. And it has caused an even political divide here in the U.S.

I definitely agree that cultural differences between the States and Japan probably play a huge roll in the way the pandemic has affected Japan.
xx, Carol

Julie Fukuda said...

Lots of bowing upon meeting, and not a lot of hugging and kissing when greeting friends. Hand wipes have been given out in restaurants long before corona.

Vireya said...

I suspect there are a lot of future PhDs in those comparisons! People will be analysing the differing pandemic responses and their effects.

I'm just glad that here in Australia all but a small minority were compliant with rules designed to keep us all safe. The death rates from omicron still seem very high to me, but your first graph shows that it is a lot worse elsewhere.

Leonore Winterer said...

It's sad to see the US leading in both of those charts...Germany isn't doing great, but it could be worse.
I think another factor in Japan might be that people are quite...reserved to begin with. There's not as much of a culture of hugging and hand shaking etc as there is in the west, so maybe less contact points to spread the virus as well.