Thursday, November 17, 2022

Cruise Travel to Resume in Japan



 

The Diamond Princess was the start of the pandemic in Japan. For two weeks the cruise ship sat off shore with coronavirus cases increasing by the day onboard.  Immediately following, a cruise ship ban was imposed in Japan in March 2020. At that time, I thought the cruise ship industry was finished. Apparently not so.


Japan has been very careful and just recently opened its borders to tourists again.  Now Japan is ready to reopen to cruise ships again, more than a year after the US and Europe resumed cruise travel. Cruise ship operators and port authorities' associations announced the anti-virus guidelines and the Transport and Tourism Minister Tetsuo Saito said Japan will create an environment that allows tourists to enjoy their cruise travel without worry while in the country. The new guidelines require all crew members to have recieved three vaccine shots and passengers to be vaccianted at least twice, in addition to throrough ventilation, distancing, and disinfecting common areas. 


In Autumn of 2019, I was able to take a wonderful Mediterranean Cruise and at that time was hoping to take another cruise.What do you think about cruise travel? Are you ready to take to the ocean again?

7 comments:

Terra said...

I haven't been on an ocean cruise, but enjoyed a cruise up the Rhine River in Germany. My friend is on a Princess cruise to Hawaii right now. To me, the cruise environment seems like too many people in too little space considering vaxxed people can still get and spread the virus. But other people are enjoying cruises; I would love to visit Japan.

Jeanie said...

Nope. Not yet, no way!

Vireya said...

Cruise ships have never been something I wanted to try out, but I know lots of people that love them. One friend recently went on a cruise they had been originally going to do in 2020. Both members of the couple caught covid, and when they returned they gave it to their son. Cruise ships seem to be floating petri dishes.

Queeniepatch said...

I am aware of the infection risk so would probably not go.
Another thing that makes me hesitate is the sea itself. My friend crossed the Atlantic (UK to US) onboard QEII and it was 'one bumpy ride'. If such a huge ship will bobble like a cork on turbulent water, I'd rather stay on dry land.

Klaudia Zuberska said...

Hello! Great entry.
I went on a ship once, but only briefly. There is a small island in my country, you have to take a ferry to get there. I've always wanted to visit Japan. its my biggest dream.
Greetings from Poland!

diamondc said...

Pamela: Good news for travelers.
I have cruised I love it.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm a little weary of cruises in general because of environmental factors...but I read about a Japan/Russia knitting cruise and I'm kind of intrigued!