Thursday, December 15, 2022

Kyoto - Fushimi Inari Shrine

The Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto is one of many important shinto shrines.  It is famous for the thousands of vermillion torii gates, with trails leading to the sacred Mt. Inari, which stands at 233 meters. Fushimi Inari is the most important of the Inari shrines, which are dedicated to the Shinto god of rice. Foxes are thought to be Inari's messengers. 


Everything I read or heard about this place was that it would be very crowded. I arrived early to try to avoid the crowds as much as possible. There were some people at the entrance area, but fewer as I climbed higher. By the time I came down, tour buses and many tourists were arriving, so my timing was good.
















Monkeys are dangerous.







I stopped because I knew it was a long walk up.




There were a lot of side paths where there are little (what I think are) family monuments.












Luckily, I didn't see any boars or monkeys.






At a cross road in the trail, there was a view of the city and a little restaurant area.  After that, more steps. There were very few people after this area.









When I got here, I thought it must be the top, but it wasn't!  More steps...




There were some elderly people in the Sannomine area who were changing out the old fox bibs for new ones.






I made it to the top!




Going down.




I'm really glad I was able to make this visit.

7 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you for letting us join you on this interesting excursion. I had no idea it was such a long way to the top. I am glad you had only a few encounters with people and none with wild monkeys or boars.

Toki said...

Fushimi lnari is my favorite shrine too.⛩️

You went early in the morning.
because you went early, you were able to avoid the crowds. It also means that the presence of people from the previous day will disappear and you will be able to walk in the clear air.

I was surprised that you went to the top of the mountain.
Also, as you said , there are no Private graves at Fushimi Inari.🦊

Seeing many pictures of Fushimi lnari after a long time reminded me.
Thank you.
It must have been a wonderful birthday trip for you .😊

diamondc said...

Pamela: This was an amazing trek, so many lovely photos and the animals worth neck decorations are a sweet touch.
I would be so afraid of seeing the monkeys and boars, just thinking about them gives me goose bumps.
It is interesting that there is such lovely writings on the posts, the characters are so charming.

Catherine

Jeanie said...

That's gorgeous and your photos are very impressive. So is the view! Congratulations for reaching the summit!

Vireya said...

It is a beautiful shrine. Your photos are lovely. I particularly love the first photo, with the red leaves on the trees lining the path.

Congratulations on beating the crowds, and making it to the top!

roughterrain crane said...

Thanks a lot. Your post brings back memories of my visit more than 10 years ago.

Leonore Winterer said...

Fushimi Inari was such a wonderful place, certainly one of my favourite memories of Japan. We didn't make it all the way to the top, though!