Monday, December 19, 2022

Kyoto - Ryukoku Museum

The Ryukoku Museum is a museum of Buddhist art and history. It opened in 2011 and is located about a ten minute walk from Kyoto Station. 


The day I was there the admission was free and I received a booklet with photos and descriptions of the items in the exhibit. Photos were not allowed in the main exhibit area, but were permitted in the Bezeklik Cave Temple exhibit. The Bezeklik Cave Temples are located on the outskirts of Turpan in the Zinjang Uyghur Autonomous Region.


The exhibit displays the corridor of the actual size of the Number 15 Cave. The corridor is approximately 3.5 meters high and 15 meters long. The original of this recreation was made in the 11th century.










I don't think this museum is well known. There were few people visiting when I was there and I didn't know about it on other trips to Kyoto. I would visit again.

5 comments:

Vireya said...

Looks interesting!

Toki said...

The corridor is a masterpiece.
That's excellent.

Queeniepatch said...

Fantastic artwork in the cave. I have never seen such long toes before!

Jeanie said...

Oh Pamela, this is stunning. I think I would have been blown away walking that hallway.

Leonore Winterer said...

I hadn't heard about this, but it sounds really interesting!