Sunday, December 24, 2023

Saturday at Ueno Zoo

 Last Saturday, I took the train to Tokyo to visit the Ueno Zoo. I like most of the animals, but I especially like the Giant Pandas.  It was an unusually warm day for December and a great day to go to the zoo.



The entrance fee for the zoo is 600 yen and they warn you about the wait time to see the pandas before you buy your ticket.





The wait time to see the adult parents of the twin two year old parents was only about 15 minutes. The female panda was behind a plexiglas divider and hard to see because of the reflection. It was feeding time and the pandas didn't seem to be concerned with the crowds.




The male panda looked like he was sitting in his recliner.





This was the start of the hour long wait to see the two year old twins. Only one of the twin pandas was in the exhibit area.




When I finally got up to the exhibit area, all I could see was a little white fur of the one twin in the exhibit area. It was disappointing.





I left the pandas and moved on the see the other animals. It was nice to see the signage in English. I think there were many foreign tourists at the zoo because I heard a lot of people speaking English.









The Vivarium was an interesting place, but it was hard to get good pictures there.







I found it interesting that the signs show what the animal eats.














Back outside again.













My pictures from inside the Small Mammal's House were not good.


There were still some fall colors to be seen.






I could have stayed longer, but after the elephant, I decided to leave the zoo. It was on to another place at Ueno Park.

5 comments:

Vireya said...

Shame about the baby pandas, but it looks like a nice day out, anyway.

Queeniepatch said...

The weather was great. I'm sorry you were not able to see more of the beloved pandas.

roughterrain crane said...

Panda's movement is always cute.
People feel a great peace of mind when they see this special animal.

Toki said...

I was disappointed that you didn't see the twin pandas, but I'm glad that you got to see giant panda.🐼
It looks like you had a wonderful day on your birthmonth with nice weather.😊

Leonore Winterer said...

Waiting an hour just to see a Panda's backside must have been so disappointing!
We had plans to visit Steffi in Berlin last October and wanted to see their pnda twins before they moved back to China, but sadly we had to cancel the trip. Hopefully there will be more panda babies in the future!