Sunday, September 8, 2024

Flea Market Naruko Kokeshi

I found a Naruko Kokeshi doll at a flea market for 300 yen. I'm pretty pleased with my little purchase.





Kokeshi are Japanese dolls, with no arms or legs. They were originally designed as toys for children. This traditional art was started during the Edo period (beginning of the 19th century), and were made by woodworkers in the northern part of Japan. There are ten styles of traditional Kokeshi dolls, according the area they come from. Naruko Kokeshi make a squeaky noise when the head is turned. I wrote more about these traditional dolls on this post, if you are interested.

4 comments:

diamondc said...

Hi Pamela: These dols are adorable, thank-you for the history of how they were started.

Catherine

Jeanie said...

Somewhere in my house I have a lovely Kokeshi doll I bought in Japan (Yamagata). I wish I could find it. this one is charming.

kiwikid said...

She is lovely!

Leonore Winterer said...

What a fun find!