Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Kabuki Adventure

Kabuki is a classic Japanese drama/dance theater known for its elaborate make up, costumes, and sets. This Japanese entertainment began in 1603. I recently found out there would be a Kabuki performance at a shrine near Takamatsu and I really wanted to go! I used google maps to find the shrine, but couldn't find an easy way to get there.  The closest I could get by public transporation still involved a two and a half hour walk from that point.  My Japanese friend was able to research online and found that there was a shuttle from an area that I could get to by bus! I took a train to Takamatsu, then a bus, then the shuttle.  The road up to the shrine was a narrow, curvy, uphill little path really.  






When I arrived at the shrine, I saw it was like a festival with vendors selling prepared foods, produce, all kinds of thing. It was an interesting day to say the least! 


 I didn't really understand what was going on, but a woman behind me was trying to explain things to me in a mixture of English and Japanese.When I saw people throwing things that could have been rocks or candy or who knows what at the actors and stage, she showed me it was little wrapped coins - a one yen and a five yen in each package. I think they are called ohineri. 

My photos aren't the greatest because I wasn't close and had to use the zoom, but you'll get the idea.  















I really enjoyed the experience, even if I didn't understand what was going on!

5 comments:

  1. Kabuki theater, a fair and a hike, a full day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your photos are amazing - what a wonderful experience - thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos!
    Suzi

    http://suzi7.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really admire you for taking on the challenge of getting to such an isolated place. You were rewarded with exercise, food, culture and friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The costumes look wonderful

    ReplyDelete