Saturday, December 15, 2018

Russian Temari Artist

I read about Tatiana Vigdorova on TreeHugger and thought there might be other people interested in her and the temari this artist creates.   She was trained in dentistry, but now creates gorgeous artwork using embroidery and silk threads. 

You can see photos of her fabulous work on Instagram. She was also featured in this Mobi Spirit article and this short article on My Modern Met.  Check out these links to see her wonderful temari creations.



Temari has been a traditional Japanese folk art since about the seventh century. They are used as both a decoration and a child's toy. You can read about the history of these beautiful balls here on Temari.com .

I took a beginner temari class (and made a very beginner ball) with Barbara Suess at the NCSU Japan Center, and tried another (not yet finished) at either the EGA or ANG in Raleigh.  




I would like to really learn to do this.  Have you tried?


10 comments:

Jeanie said...

Beautiful -- I think I'd like to learn to do those, too!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Pamela no its one craft that i havent tried but i have seen ladies in the embroidery group make these and they are fascinating and beautiful,love yours well done.

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

I want to give Temari making a try as well. They are so intricate and colorful.

Mary Ruth in NC said...

Visit temarikai.com for lots of beautiful temari with instructions.

I have made simple ones.

Mary Ruth in NC

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The balls at the links are amazing. Sadly, sometimes I see wonderful things others make and think "what would I ever do with that". Probably a elder age way of thinking.
xx, Carol

Vireya said...

Wow, her work is amazing!

Queeniepatch said...

I have never tried my hand at this craft, but I love Temari and have two that I use for Christmas decorations. There is a snag in the traditional ones - they can be infested with insects. I was once given a beautiful temari and after a couple of years it started to 'move' - small insects kept coming out of it. I had to throw it away.

Julie said...

Stunning balls made using this technique.

D1-D2 said...

It's on my list of techniques to learn one day :) There was a design printed in a previous issue of Inspirations magazine that I really love. Just need to figure out how I can get materials.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh my, these are amazing! I really want to look into how to make them eventually.