Friday, July 5, 2019

He Climbed Mt. Fuji Last Summer

About three years ago, shortly after I started working here, I heard American English with a southern accent outside my class room and I immediately went out in the hall to investigate. I think we were both surprised to see another American. He introduced himself as a compressor engineer from the American side of the company.  Maybe once a month or so I would see him at our location in Japan. I never had a real conversation with him, but he always poked his head in my room and said hello when he was here, or I would see him by the coffee machine and engage in small talk.  He was always friendly and kind, fun and funny. 


The students of mine who worked with him always seemed to be in awe of him. They told me how smart and talented he was.  I found out from one student that he was in a rock band, called the Hobbit Band. One time when we were at the coffee machine, a Japanese man with rather long hair joined us. (Long hair is not common in this company.) The American engineer asked the Japanese man if he spoke English and he replied "a little".  The American asked him if he played guitar.  The Japanese man seemed surprised, but said yes.  The American said "I knew it! Someone with hair that long must be in a rock and roll band."  I still laugh remembering. (So, maybe you had to be there.)


On one trip to Japan last summer, the American climbed Mt. Fuji with his nephew before returning to the USA. Mt. Fuji is on the bucket lists of many foreigners in Japan, including mine.  


I was surprised and saddened to find out last week that he died. I haven't heard how or why he died.  I looked up his obituary online and it was beautiful. It said he left this world amidst the wildflowers of his home. I didn't know he was 70 years old and a vice president of the company.  He was so friendly and unpretentious. The obituary said that before his college final exams he drove from his school (MIT) cross country to propose to his high school sweetheart and they were married in August.  They would have celebrated their 48th anniversary this year.  How romantic! It said he is remembered as a music legend, the singer, songwriter, and guitarist of the rock band Hobbit.  


I'll remember how friendly and funny he was and how much those who worked with him respected him and learned from him.  I'll remember that even though he worked very hard at his job, he also made time to climb Mt. Fuji.




12 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I am sure you will never look at Mt Fuji again without remembering the fleeting meetings you have had with this remarkable man.

kiwikid said...

Sounds likea wonderful man.

Faith... said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend.

He sounds like a very friendly person and not pretentious at all; which is a breath of fresh air when thinking of people in the corporate world.

Vireya said...

It's a shame you didn't get the chance to know him better. He sounds like an interesting guy.

Lin said...

Sad ending to your story but he obviously lived life to the full. xx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

A moving post. A reminder that it only takes a moment to be gracious. I'm deep thinking this morning. Wondering if you remember so much because he was friendly and popped his head into your room for a quick greeting, or because he climbed Mt. Fuji. Probably a combination of all moments in time you spent with him. Anyway, it's sad that he left this earth.

Jeopardy had a Mt. Fuji question yesterday. That brought Terry and I to a conversation about you. The question was something about Mt. Fuji being formed by 3 volcanoes.
xx, Carol

jacaranda said...

Life is so short and he sounds like someone who had a fulfilling life.

DUTA said...

That's a fine tribute to a fine person!
Mt. Fuji looks like a very attractive landmark of Japan.

Julie said...

He sounds a lovely man. Lucky you getting to meet and be a part of his life.

Ann said...

A meaningful post, Pamela. You will remember him again when you climb Mt. Fuji. And someone will remember you when they climb it many years in the future. A beautiful string of connections.

Leonore Winterer said...

Sounds like a great guy. It's awesome when people stay that down to earth (or up-the-mountain!) even when they are successful.

Jeanie said...

This is so beautiful, Pamela, and so sad. It reminds me how we never know how we touch people or affect others while in our day to day encounters. Clearly, he was someone you admired and appreciated and respected and whose life left a mark on yours. It sounds like you were fortunate to encounter him and that he was quite a guy. I'm so very sorry.