Saturday, July 20, 2019

It Pays to Move From Tokyo to Aichi

 I read about an interesting offer. Aichi Prefecture will pay people to move from Tokyo to Aichi.


Tokyo is the capital of Japan and while there is much to do and see in Tokyo, it is also the most crowded and expensive place in Japan to live. Aichi Prefecture is launching the Aichi Migration Support Project.  This project pays people to relocate from Tokyo to Aichi. Singles will be given 600,000 yen and families with two or more members will receive 1,000,000 yen. 


In order to qualify for the one time moving grant, people must have lived/worked in one of Tokyo's 23 wards for at least five years and intend to live in one of 49 cities in Aichi for at least five years. Those living elsewhere in Tokyo or Kanagawa, Saitama or Chiba prefectures who commute to work in one of Tokyo's 23 wards are also eligible. 


To give an example of the difference in the cost of living, the average cost of a 50-square meter apartment in Tokyo is 129,727 yen a month, while the same size apartment in Aichi averages just 74,530 yen. 


What do you think?  Would you make the move if you lived in Tokyo?

12 comments:

DUTA said...

Economically it sounds a good bargain. But there are ,of course, many factors to be considered.
Anyway, I like to visit islands but not to live on them.

FlashinScissors said...

Sounds interesting but where is Aichi? I couldn’t see it on the map.
Barbara xx

Pink Rose said...

Hi Pamela interesting question ,not sure whether i would move or not,it would be cheaper living in Aichi so it would be tempting xx

Lyndle said...

Wow, interesting. I guess jobs are the big issue. Aichi looks like a small geographical area from the map you have shown - I assume that is it where the blown up part points to. I’ll look up what the industries are.

roughterrain crane said...

In Aichi, you can enjoy tasty Udon.
What is the total sunshine hours of Shizuoka in this rainy season? Farmers in my region(Kanto) are afraid of poor harvest because of the too short sunshine hours.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well I guess there would be more to consider beyond cost of living. Quality of Life is far more important to me as I age. I guess one major factor would be if the climate is the same.

There are several places in the USA that make that kind of offer, mostly in the plains states. In hindsight, I wish we would have moved to a warmer area when we were young. Perhaps in my next life.
xx, Carol

Recep Hilmi TUFAN | rehitu.com said...

If I could find same job opportunities then I could move I think.

Julie said...

I wonder how many will take up this offer?

kiwikid said...

It would depend where my family was I think.

rosey175 said...

I would rather live in the country! So I probably wouldn't be living in Tokyo to begin with. I do think it's a nice idea.

jacaranda said...

We need this incentive in Melbourne, the city is becoming clogged with high rise apartments.

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't know much about Aichi, but I would not want to live in Tokyo! It's a nice place to visit, but way too big and crowded for me.