Thursday, July 18, 2019

The 3D Underwear Scanner

I have only read about this, I haven't seen it or tried it. Wacoal Holdings Corp. opened an underwear store on the fourth floor of the Tokyu Plaza Omotesando Harajuku in Shibuya, Tokyo that will measure a woman's body size without being touched by a clerk. 



The service is called "3D smart & try". Shoppers can enter a fitting room "measurement space" and their body will be scanned in five seconds, then reproduced with about 1.5 million dots.  The size is calculated based on the distance between the dots. A tablet computer will then propose underwear. You can find out more about this service here


What do you think? Would you try this service?



8 comments:

DUTA said...

I won't try this service. Scanning involves a certain amount of radiation. It's not worth it.

Jen L said...

I would give it a try a least once - just to see if the fit compares.

kiwikid said...

Don't think I would.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Pamela I would try it this way you would know exactly what size you were especially in bras xx

Vireya said...

The scanners use radio waves which are constantly travelling through you all the time, so probably no more dangerous than just walking around the shop.

There have been lots of these over the years but I think they are more gimmicky than practical. The problem is that hard-to-fit people are still going to be hard to fit, with a scan or without one. If you are not a standard size, there is not going to be any clothes in the store for the scanner to recommend.

In San Francisco nearly 20 years ago there was a scanner that did this in the Levis store, then they made you jeans to fit the measurements. But it wasn't a success because people often weren't happy with the fit once the jeans were delivered a few weeks later. So they would return them for a refund, and the company was stuck with jeans that could not be sold because they were not standard sizes.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I probably would not try it. I have certain items that I buy time and again because they have proven to be comfortable and fit well. You can't figure that out with a machine.
xx, Carol

Julie said...

Interesting concept, not sure I would have a go though.

Leonore Winterer said...

I'd try this, if only out of curiosity!