Thursday, December 17, 2020

Panda Updates




Good news for giant pandas at the Ueno Zoo in Tokyo.  Xiang Xiang (Shan Shan), who was born in June 2017, was scheduled to go to China at age two.  That has been pushed back to May of next year. Her parents, Ri Ri and Shin Shin, will be allowed to stay in Japan another five years beyond next February. They came to Japan in February 2011. 


Likewise, good news for Washington DC's giant pandas.  The baby born August 21st this year was named Xiao Qi Ji (Shiau Chi Ji). and is now almost four months old. He is beginning to walk and is as cute as he can be! He and his parents, Mei Xiang (May Shong) and Tian Tian (Tee Yen Tee Yen) will be staying at the Smithsoniam's National Zoo through early December 2023 according to a new agreement with China. 


I haven't found any news about the new baby giant panda born in late November at Adventure World in Japan.

5 comments:

kiwikid said...

Seesm like the breeding programmes of these zoos are working well.

Queeniepatch said...

Good for the pandas to stay in Japan, I hope they are not homesick for China...

Vireya said...

Your beaded pandas are gorgeous.

Jeanie said...

I love the pandas. I can see why they are so endearing and popular!

Leonore Winterer said...

I wonder when the Berlin panda twins will have to go to China. I hope I can see them again before then!