Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Big Year End Clean Up - 大掃除

In the US, people sometimes use the phrase "spring cleaning", but I don't know if anyone actually does it. In Japan, there is oosouji 大掃除, big end of the year clean up, and I'm pretty sure almost everyone does it. It's a ritual and a way to start the new year with a clean slate.


This week I've been thinking about it and making my To Do list. In addition to the regular cleaning jobs, I want to declutter some of the things that I've been saving, just in case I might need them. I never need them.  I also want to get rid of negative things - old clothes I don't wear, email about things I don't care about and won't look at again, generally all things that aren't good. I want to start out 2021 better than 2020 has been. We don't know when the pandemic will end, but my space will be cleaner and more positive anyway.


I have ten days off from work for the new year holiday and since I'm not traveling this year, I hope to do a really really big clean up. Do you have any end of the year rituals?

4 comments:

Vireya said...

That sounds like an excellent idea. I have about 3 weeks off work so perhaps I could spend some time doing the same.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love this Japanese tradition! Happy New Year!

Jeanie said...

The holidays are my ritual. I admire the clean-up one. I don't think that's in my cards!

Leonore Winterer said...

I got some things I want to do before the new year, or at least before I start work again - I'm off until January 10th. A couple WIPs that need finishing too!