Sunday, July 4, 2021

Mt. Fuji is Open for Business (I Mean Climbing)

photo taken by me Feb 2020 in Fujinomiya

 

Due to the pandemic, Mt. Fuji was closed to climbers last summer.  I was surprised to hear it will be open this climbing season. 


(I don't think the pandemic is over yet. Aren't the reasons it was closed last summer still reasons this year?)


It opened on July first for the route on the Yamanashi Prefecture side and will open on the tenth for the three routes on the Shizuoka Prefecture side. The season will end on the tenth of September for all routes. 


I love seeing seeing Mt. Fuji, especially in winter when it is covered in snow. I didn't think it was so pretty up close when I climbed it in August 2019.  It's a lot of sharp black rocks.




I'm really glad I was able to climb it when I did. I will always be in awe of this mountain. 

6 comments:

kiwikid said...

It is a beautiful mountain and reminds me of Mt Taranaki in NZ. I am surprised it is open for climbing with the virus still around, has that happened to coincide with the Olympics maybe?

jacaranda said...

Your image of My Fiji is beautiful and the red Torii Gate stands out so well. Was the photo taken from your window? I wish all the climbers well, I couldn't do it.

Vireya said...

It is such a beautiful mountain. I'd be happy to admire it from afar, rather than climbing it.

Miranda said...

How is vaccine distribution in Japan? Maybe they're counting on a good number of the visitors being vaccinated?

Queeniepatch said...

I agree. The mountain trails should be closed for another year. In a normal summer the lines of climbers make you think of a long queue of people walking up an escalator. With so many people in a usual year, how many will we not see this time after a gap year? All those habitual climbers will want to rush up to the top, huffing and puffing and spreading aerosols of virus.
I agree with you, Mt Fuji is best seen from a distance.

Leonore Winterer said...

A lot of people seem to behave like this pandemic is already over, but I don't really believe it either. It's scary!