Saturday, July 17, 2021

Soroban




Do you know what a soroban 算盤, そろばん is and how to use it? The soroban is a Japanese abacus. It was developed from the ancient Chinese suanpan, which was imported to Japan in the 14th century.  


The soroban has been taught in Japanese schools for over 500 years. There are also private schools and tutors.  My students tell me about their children going to Soroban School to learn to use it quickly and accurately in order to pass level tests. There are six levels, starting from sixth-grade (very skilled), up to first-grade (those who have completely mastered the use of the soroban). At least a third-grade certificate is needed for some jobs. One of my students told me there are two parts to the level test - actual use and mind use.  In the second part, the user imagines using the soroban and is calculating in his head. 


I never learned to use a soroban or abacus.  I'm not even very good with a calculator. What about you?

8 comments:

Vireya said...

It seems like a good way to teach children about numbers, but it might be very hard to learn as an adult.

kiwikid said...

Never heard of them but what abtreat way to learn to do maths. I leant to add up in my head which was good as I worked in a bank for many years.

jacaranda said...

I don't think I could use it. When I left high school and began drafting, I was given a new calculator, big mistake as I didn't use my brain for numbers any more. Sad, as I automatically reach for the calculator instead of working the sums in my head.

Queeniepatch said...

I have seen clerks in banks and postoffice here in Japan first use the calculator, then double checking the sum with the abacus.
As I child I had a very simple abacus, with colourful wooden balls, and learned to push them along the bar to count things.
In school we first had to use our heads, then a slide rule and finally a pocket calculator.
In Russia (then the USSR) I saw the huge bulky abacuses that were used in shops and markets, and thought they looked very primitive and old fashioned.
After that I encountered the sleek, almost musical Japanese abacuses, and thought they looked very advanced and efficient.
Unfortunately I have not been able to use my head, slide rule, calculator or Japanese abacus very successfully. Maybe I'd better stitck to the abacus of my childhood!

diamondc said...

Pamela: Very interesting information, I have never used an abacus, but am interested in learning more.

Catherine

roughterrain crane said...

When I was an elementary student, I went to soroban school for one year.

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't know how to use an abacus and have never heard about a soroban. It sounds like a useful skil to have, though!

Jeanie said...

I'm adequate with a calculator but an abacus would freak me out! That said, you've probably seen a Japanese child work one -- they're so fast!