Thursday, April 21, 2022

Plastic Reduction in Japan



This month a new law has gone into effect in Japan aimed at reducing plastic use. Twelve types of disposable items are targeted in order to protect the environment amid concern over marine pollution. Retail shops, hotels, restaurants, and other businesses that provide five or more tons of single-use items are affected by this new law.  These businesses are required to charge for plastic items or offer alternatives made from other materials. 


Family Mart convenience store chain has already banned forks and fork/spoons and is offering bamboo chopsticks instead. It estimates it will reduce 260 tons of plastic waste a year. 


The Imperial Hotel in Tokyo is changing to bamboo or wooden handle amenities such as toothbrushes, razors, and hairbrushes. Even though the cost for these items will be three times as expensive as the plastic items, the hotel expects to cut the use of plastic by more than 80 per cent. 


Japan already has a law requiring stores to charge for plastic bags, but I haven't seen any statistics on how much plastic is being saved by that. I think the new law is a good move and hope it will encourage people to choose to use their own reusable items rather than pay extra for the convenience of plastic items.

7 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I hope so too. It's not hard to carry your own chopsticks, and a spoon.
Hotels in Sweden usually have a plastic soap/shampoo dispenser fixed to the wall, and toothbrushes, razors and showers caps are not offered.

jacaranda said...

Majority of take away food places now have cutlery made of wood and paper drink straws.

Toki said...

I think Japan's environmental efforts are good. Some people may find it inconvenient.
But I think.
I think eco-friendly efforts will inconvenience us.
Because the world has become too convenient for economic growth. I don't think it's easy,but it would be nice if we could overcome the inconvenience by devising it.
My chopstick and eco bags are also one of the ideas.

I have something to worry about. A factory the manufacturers plastic products.
Some industries are lost over time,but it is also true that many unemployed people are born. I saw in the news an example of a transformation into factory that makes eco-friendly products. I think we need government help.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad to see this happening, especially in restaurants and such. Japan seems more on top of such things than the states.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

People in CA, USA are upset because Walmart charges for bags and often the greeter will tell you when you enter that no bags are available. Terry and I began using our own bags at least 5 years ago. I think there is a CA law saying places that serve to go food should not give plastic ware unless asked for it. We try not to use disposable table ware.
xx, Carol

kiwikid said...

Sounds like a really good idea to me. We have been using reusable bags for the supermarket for a while now and you can buy a paper one if you forget. A lot of take away places here offer bamboo eating utensils and straws that are made from paper.

Leonore Winterer said...

When we went to Japan, I felt like there was a lot more plastic packaging than at home. I'm glad something is being done about it.