Sunday, April 24, 2022

What do First Graders in Japan Want to Be?

The new school year in Japan began a few weeks ago and the Kuraray Company, which manufactures synthetic leather for school bags, has released its newest first grade survey. Four thousand children who just entered elementary school were asked what they want to do when they grow up. It is interesting to compare this year's dream jobs with those of twenty years ago.



(I love that # 9 on the 2022 Girls' list is worker at ice-cream shop!)





How do you think the answers of the the children's parents compare?




If you have children, what kind of job do/did you want for your children? What did you yourself want to be when you grew up? Did your ideas for your children or yourself change?

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well those are interesting surveys. I had a strange childhood that I don't talk about. I never had any ambition to do anything in particular except get a good education so I could support myself when I left home. I did well in the clerical area. I really never had a desire for my daughter to do anything in particular either. Just wanted her to graduate high school before she got pregnant. That should tell you a lot. We raised our grandson and we always knew he would do well. When he was really young he looked for ways to make money. He always asked us to exchange his coins for dollars which he then ironed so they looked better. Today, he is the kind of guy that networks, educates himself about anything he hears that he might like to do. He is an entrepreneur of a sort. He puts his $$ where he can make MORE $$.

I think all I ever wanted for me and mine is to be happy.
xx, Carol

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

I appear to have fit in with the top option for boys..without any particular desire to do so. I am told that when asked as a child what I wanted to be when I grew up that I replied , I am not growing up..so I guess I wanted to be Peter Pan.

diamondc said...

Hi Pamela: What a fun post, it is interesting to hear what children have in their minds for the future.

Catherine

Jeanie said...

These are so interesting. It would be fun to follow them into adulthood. I wonder how they compare with US job wishes.

HIllary said...

My daughter is only 3, we live in the US, I want her to be something that is always in demand (even with "just" a bachelor's degree) so she won't suffer during a recession (the 2009 recession was very bad for me) because of this I want her to be a CPA (certified public accountant) or an Engineer.

Leonore Winterer said...

I love how there is police officer on the girls'- and baker on the boys' list now!