Sunday, May 8, 2022

Daibutsu Hiking Course

Some of the places I wanted to go were far away from other places.  I could have walked along the streets that were becoming crowded because school groups and tourist buses were arriving. I had read about the hiking trail and thought it would be a great way to avoid other people. I didn't see other people, but it wasn't such a great idea.



This is the start of the trail - wet, overgrown, slick mud concrete steps that I thought would never level out.





The mud was like quicksand trying to suck my hiking shoes off my feet in some places,



and slick with running water in other places.




The sign boards in Kamakura were in four languages.



I probably should have turned back when I first saw the mud, but I continued into the jungle.



I don't know why, but whenever I am in the woods in Japan and don't know where I am, Googlemaps doesn't know where I am either.



If you are lost in these woods, you can get a drink and you call someone, but you can't tell them where you are.





Hiking is a great thing to do, but maybe not after a rainy day.

8 comments:

kiwikid said...

That trail looks a bit dangerous after rain. It always makes me augh seeing your photos of a drink vending machine in the middle of nowhere!!

Queeniepatch said...

Kamakura hiking courses are notorious for their poor condition, confusing signs and hidden entrances.
In MY opinion Kamakura is so famous the local government don't bother making it visitor friendly; they could make so much to ease traffic, protect the residents from the inconvenience of the crowds and promote more of local produce (both farming and fishing) and traditional craft.

Toki said...

Is this really a hiking trail?
I can't go into this jungle.

I think it would be helpful if you call from a pay phone. payphone are wired, not wireless ,so you should be able to locate them.
However, in that case police and ambulances may come to help and be important.

Jen L said...

LOL I had a very similar experience in Kamakura years ago. So much mud me and my companions nearly slid down the hill! Fortunately, we were found a wonderful ‘running somen’ restaurant once we were back on asphalt.

Vireya said...

That doesn't really look like fun, climbing through all that mud.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm pretty sure I would have given up. I like a good hike but hate to struggle which is what I would have done.
xx, Carol

Jeanie said...

Yeah, I can think of a better day to do that. Maybe a return visit when it's dry would be better!

Leonore Winterer said...

This story is a lot less scary to read knowing you made it back safely!