Tuesday, May 3, 2022

World's Oldest Person Dies in Japan at Age 119

 


Sad news - The world's oldest person, Kane Tanaka, recently died at age 119. She was born January 2, 1903, in Fukuoka, Japan. In 2020, at age 117, the Guinness Book of World Records named her the oldest living person. (You can read that post here).


Until recently, she was in relatively good health and lived in a nursing home where she enjoyed board games, solving math problems, soda, and chocolate. She was chosen to take part in the torch relay for the Tokyo Olympics in 2021, but the pandemic prevented her from doing so. 


Japan has the world's most elderly population with about 28% aged 65 and over. The oldest ever living person verified by Guinness was Frenchwoman Jean Louise Calment, who died age 122 years and 164 days in 1997. 

6 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I wonder if this trend continues - these 100+ people in Japan were brought up on simple but extremely healthy food, usually had physical work like farming or fishing, they spent a lot of time outside in the fresh air. The next generation of really old people will have lived a much more sheltered and spoiled live with cars, fast food, office work and Acs. I am sure we will not live as long as these born over a hundred years ago today.

kiwikid said...

Sad news.

Jeanie said...

I wonder if we'll all live really old and be poor...

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm pretty sure that I would not want to live that long unless I was in superb health and agile.
xx, Carol

Julie Fukuda said...

I will have to live to 200, just to use up all the fabric I have been "gifted". (I wonder if 114 years is enough)

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm sad to hear she died, but I guess at her age, noone was really surprised when it happened.