Tuesday, May 31, 2022

New Scooter Law in Japan

Japan has enacted a new law - users of electric scooters, with a maximum speed of 20 KPH, will no longer require a license to drive/use them. Minors under the age of 16 will still be banned from riding them.  (The article I read said the law will go into effect within two years, so I guess you still need a license for now.)


When I read this, I was picturing sit down scooters that people with mobility issues use, but apparently I was wrong.  "Electric scooters" in Japan resemble skateboards equipped with handles and must be ridden with a helmet. Previously the scooters were classified as motorcycles, which require a license. Traffic tickets will be given for riders under the age of 16, as well as those who provide the scooters to underage riders.





Have you or would you like to ride this type of scooter? I suppose the brakes are in the handles, but it looks a little scary to me.

8 comments:

Vireya said...

The regional city I live near is littered with e-scooters. They are doing a 12-month trial of them. You book and pay for them through a phone app. No licence is necessary, but you do have to be over 18, and obey the road rules, including blood alcohol limits.
I sometimes see people on them, but I far more frequently see the scooters dumped wherever someone finished with them.

kiwikid said...

Not for me, I have seen the results of falling off them and it is not pretty. As I get older my balance is not so good so I am sticking with the e bike, which sometimes I think can be as dangerous!!

jacaranda said...

Feel this idea of riding scooters is not a good one. Have seen many dumped. I was walking through the city and had to move out of the way of 3 scooters speeding towards me.

Queeniepatch said...

Stockholm is littered with them, once the rider gets off, he/she just dumps it right there on the pavement. They should not have been allowed in the first place, and Japan does not know what it is in for! A propose a total BAN!

roughterrain crane said...

This must be interesting but I don't want to ride it on a public road.

Toki said...

I thought it was very dangerous to ride a kickboard due to the current road conditions in Japan.
But the bill relaxed the regulation.😨
I'm sure there will be more accident and violations than now.
“Clearer than looking at the fire”

The bill should be reviewed before casualties occur.😠

Jeanie said...

It wouldn't be my thing, but I see them here, too!

Leonore Winterer said...

I've seen those around, but haven't tried them. I don't think you need a license here, either.