Thursday, May 12, 2022

Zeniarai Benzaiten Ugafuku Jinja Shrine, Kamakura

This shrine is said to be the second most popular place in Kamakura. People come here to wash their money in the shrine's spring because the money will double after they do. 


This shrine is found along the Daibutsu Hiking Trail and no other site seeing places are in the immediate area.




To get to this shrine, you literally have to go through a hole in the wall.




On the other side, it looks like a regular (if there is such a thing) shrine in the woods at first. Many shrines are built surrounded by trees and nature.





Then you see the long line of people waiting to wash their money in little baskets in the spring. I didn't wait or wash any money, but I did think it interesting.



After looking around a bit, I went out the tunnel the way I came and continued on to the next place.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

That's interesting about washing the money. Definitely NOT money laundering!

Lyn Warner said...

What an unusual entrance. And an unusual idea to wash money to double it. No wonder it's a popular shrine.

diamondc said...

Greetings Pamela: It looks like a lovely place to visit.
I would wait in line for the washing of money I like things like that.
You visit so many lovely places and share your photos.
Thank-you

Catherine

Vireya said...

Fascinating! Obviously the money-increasing aspect attracts the crowds.

Queeniepatch said...

It is one of my favourite spots in Kamakura, or used to be anyway. I have never seen a line of people, although it is sometimes several people inside the cave. There also used to be many people flocking around the huge incense burners where they were drying their bank notes. I have also seen people washing credit cards and personal bank seals.
Once I found some money, so it IS true that you have more money when you leave than when you came!
Outside the 'hole in the wall' there used to be an old lady selling dried snakes (either in powdered form or inside a bottle of alcohol). These products should be taken as medicine, but I don't know against what.)

Leonore Winterer said...

Talk about money laundry! What an interesting place.