Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Tuesday Tutorial - Self Lining Little Bags

I've been making little bags to give as gifts and also to put gifts in. Some I made from handkerchiefs, others from square pieces of fabric. Recipients have asked me how I make them and maybe someone who reads this blog is also wondering the same thing. 


First, you need a handkerchief or square.  This one is 16 inches square, but some are smaller or bigger.



You can add a decorative bit, but you don't have to.



Fold the square in half, with right sides together and stitch along the long side. I did this one on the sewing machine, but have done others by hand.



Next, put the seam in the middle, and sew along the short sides, leaving a small unstitched part for turning the bag right sides out (upper left corner in this photo).



It looks like this when turned. Give it a quick press if you want.  This pink handkerchief was rather wrinkly.



Next, poke the top half to the inside to form the lining of the bag.




The inside/lining looks like this.



I recently made one with a zipper to close, but usually I do a little draw string. I stitched around the top, about 3/4 of an inch, to make the draw string space.



After unstitching the seam at the back, I use a pin to pull the string around. The handkerchief has finished edges, but if I used a cut square of fabric, I would turn under the fabric at the seam to prevent it from unraveling.



Here is the finished bag. It's a quick finish.




Here are two more I made from handkerchiefs, front and back.  They really do finish up quickly.



6 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

kiwikid said...

Beautiful little bags.

Sun City Stitcher said...

Nice, thanks for the tutorial!

jacaranda said...

Thank you for your easy instructions, great idea for gifts etc.

Queeniepatch said...

A neat technique and great tutorial. Thank you!

Leonore Winterer said...

How clever is that! It looks so easy, I'll have to try it myself.