Monday, June 20, 2022

Renoir et l'art moderne, Collections du Musee du Petit Palais de Geneve

Yesterday, I visited the Shizuoka City Art Museum to see "Renoir et l'art moderne, Collections du Musee du Petit Palais de Geneve". The Musee du Petit Palais de Geneve is a museum in Geneva, Switzerland that is permanently closed, but is loaning pieces of its collection to other museums. Here is some information from the internet:

The Petit Palais in Geneva, Switzerland, owns a rich collection of modern French paintings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The founder, businessman Oscar Ghez, was an avid art collector, and the Petit Palais began in 1968 when he first exhibited and opened the collection to the public in an elegant mansion. The Petit Palais has been closed since the death of Mr. Ghez, but now an exhibition composed of only works from the collection will be held for the first time in 30 years in Japan. This exhibition will introduce the flow of modern French painting from Impressionism to Neo-Impressionism, Les Nabis, Fauvism, Cubism, and École de Paris (School of Paris), with a substantial lineup of 65 oil paintings by 38 artists.




All of the exhibit information was only in Japanese and French, but I was given this covid safety sheet in English.



The ticket price was 1400 yen, which seems more expensive than the last time I visited, but I'm not sure about that. Although the exhibit was interesting, I didn't linger in the exhibit area. To be safe, the ticket had a timed entry, but it still seemed a little close in the exhibit area, possibly because it was the last day of the exhibition. I don't like to get too close to people, even with everyone wearing masks.  Usually I buy post cards when I visit a museum, but the gift shop was too crowded for me, so I passed on purchasing anything.



The exhibit will be at the Sompo Museum of Art in Tokyo from July 13th to October 10th, if you are interested in seeing it.

5 comments:

Leonore Winterer said...

Interesting. Hope you got to enjoy your visit, even if it was crowded!

Vireya said...

I've never seen a prohibition on talking at an art exhibition before!

Queeniepatch said...

1400 sounds expensive for a show that is very crowded. It if had attracted fewer people, would the price have been ok, i.e. was the show worth the cost?

kiwikid said...

Looks interesting.

Jeanie said...

I love Renoir and if I was with you I would have happily gone along. Such beautiful work.