Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Shorinzan Darumaji Temple

This temple was built in 1697 by the Obaku school of Zen Buddhism and is where the Japanese daruma dolls started. After attending the Daruma Festival last month, I wanted to visit this place in Gunma Prefecture. 


It is relatively close to Takasaki, but there are few trains - maybe only one or two an hour, so I had to plan my time well. The temple is about a 15 minute walk from Gunma Yawata Station. There is no entry fee to visit this temple, but there are a lot of stairs.

























It was a nice day and there were few people visiting the day I was there. I'm glad I was able to visit.

4 comments:

Toki said...

It's very unusual for you to travel beyond Tokyo to the Tohoku region.
Takasaki city is very famous for Daruma. You may have a connection with the cute Daruma you purchased.
Some Daruma these days are fixed so that they don't move, but the Daruma I saw when I was a child were swaying ones. The rocking Daruma has a weight at the bottom, so it won't roll.
Japanese proverb
「七転び八起き」(nanakorobi-yaoki)
The English transition is ”Fall down seven times and get up eight times“.
This applies to Daruma.
That's why Daruma is popular as a lucky charm.

midorilinea said...

Beautiful stitching and such beautiful images of Japan, really brought back memories, thank you for sharing! Hope you have an amazing Spring Season!

xoxo, Midori

https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-daughters-turns-one-photoshoot

Jeanie said...

Those ARE a lot of stairs! But it really is so very beautiful. I can see why you love to visit these spots. I love seeing the Daruma!

Leonore Winterer said...

That tmeple is practically overflowing with Daruma dolls! What a fun place to visit.