Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The Adventure Fail

Occasionally, I don't end up where I intended to go.  I had a big idea to go to Nokogiriyama in Chiba to see the Big Stone Buddha at Nihonji Temple.  I left home at 5:30 am, took the train from my town to Atami, changed trains to Yokohama, changed trains to Kurihama, took a bus to Kurihama Port, where I got on the ferry.  So far so good.




When I got off the ferry, I expected to walk 10 minutes to the ropeway that would take me up the mountain.




I walked to the ropeway, only to find out it wasn't running!  At that point my only option was to walk up the mountain, which I attempted to do.










I got lost, and wandered around for a couple of hours.  Finally I walked down the mountain, and rode the ferry, bus, and trains back the way I came.  I didn't see the Daibutsu or the Temple.  Maybe I will go back another day, when hopefully the ropeway will be running.




8 comments:

Janie said...

What an adventure!
It sounds like you got a lot of exercise.

diamondc said...

Pamela: So sorry to hear about you missing the Budapest, I do hope you get to see him soon.

Catherine

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

Even fails in Japan are exciting, aren’t they. You saw some cool cliff carvings and beautiful forests. I bet you met some nice folks along the way, too.

Julie said...

Sounds like you enjoyed a 'mystery tour' instead of the expected visit.

Vireya said...

You saw some interesting things along the way, even if you didn't get to the Buddha. I guess it is a metaphor for life - we don't always end up where we think we will, but there's lots of small joys along the way if we take the time to appreciate them.

Queeniepatch said...

What a disappointment! I tried to find out what was wrong with the cable car but don't know why it was closed. Could it have been because of strong winds?

kiwikid said...

Awlays nice to have a day turn out differently. Great photos.

Leonore Winterer said...

What an adventure! The good thing about getting lost on a mountain is that at least you always know how to get back down, the slope gives it away! Hopefully, you'll make it to the top next time.