Thursday, April 11, 2019

Oji-sama Has a New Name

Eighteen year old Oji-sama Akaike has officially changed his name. The young man was given the name Oji-sama at birth, which means "his lordship the prince" in Japanese. His mother chose the name over his father's objection, and his parents later divorced. (No word as to whether this was the cause of the divorce). 


The boy grew up being laughed at and bullied over his name. Finally, having had enough of the mistreatment because of his name, he submitted the application form to change his name. In Japan, individuals are allowed to petition for name change from the age of 15. 


A month ago his request was approved and his name was changed to Hajime Akaike. His new name Haijime () means beginning. Although estranged from his mother, she knows of the name change and is upset that he no longer has the name she chose for him. 


A person's name is so important. I've always liked my name, even though it was a common one at the time I was named.  Now it is not so popular and is maybe old fashioned sounding. How do you feel about your name? Do you go by the name you were given or by a shortened form or nickname?

9 comments:

jacaranda said...

My parents chose the name Penelope before I was born. My brother kept asking when is Jenny coming home from hospital.....so I was given the name Jennifer. I was only ever called this when I knew I was in trouble for being naughty as a child. I prefer not to be called Jen. In high school I changed Jenny to Jenni , it took a while for people to realise that was how it was shortened by taking off the “fer”.

Miranda said...

I happen to love my first name. I did get teased as a kid, called Miranda Panda (which I now kinda like, since AOII ;)), but I like that it's unique while not unheard of (though getting more common) and feminine. I did get a lot of misspellings though, Meranda and Maranda a lot, and even Moranda. Or I just become Amanda sometimes. :P

My middle name, Sue, on the other hand... I am not fond of. But in a little over a year I plan to change my name and it will be gone. ;) "Miranda Sue" just sounds like it could be called out in a southern twang with a cowbell to get me in to supper, or something.

Queeniepatch said...

I like my name. It is not overly common, it is classic and modern at the same time, and can not be used for rhyming word play. It is easy for Japanese people to pronounce correctly, too.
I can well understand that the boy in your story wanted to change his name. I once saw on TV a debate about a couple who wanted to name their baby son Akuma (devil) and the Town Hall refused to enter it in the Family Register. Who has the right to give or refuse a nam to a person? Should we be allowed to change it?
In Sweden it costs 3000yen ($27) to change one's name, but I don't know from what age you are allowed to apply for a change.

Julie said...

My names ok. I as born in July so my parent chose Julie.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I was born Caroline. My mother's name was Caroline. She didn't raise me so I suppose that is why I hate my name. I shortened it to Carol as soon as I could. My aunt's name was Caroline too. She shortened her's to Carrie. Most people I know have shortened their name. Now that you brought it up, I wonder why.
xx, Carol

Sheryl said...

I like my name although when at school I longed for some sort of nickname. Living in Spain the Spanish have trouble with the `sh´ pronounciation so I´m called a variety of similar sounding names and my full name is always wrongly spelt on most documents.

rosey175 said...

I'm glad he got to change his name. It sounds like naming a child "Princess" here (which does happen; poor kid).

I really love my name but rarely go by it anymore (Rosey is my nickname). No one can spell or say it properly. It feels special to be called it now haha. Rosey is difficult enough; some people insist I must be a Rosie.

Jeanie said...

My name is OK. Can't do anything about the Croope -- that was a toughie in grade school! But it's part of who I am and I'll take it.

Leonore Winterer said...

I weant by 'Nora' for a long time since 'Leonore' just felt too long for children too use - today, I like both versions (plus a couple of nicknames I aquired over the years!). Poor Oji-sama - that's not a fun name to have!