Sunday, August 9, 2020

Facial Recognition Vending Machine

Japan has long been a cash society, but recently is trying to move to paying cashless. Vending machines are everywhere you look with some taking cards, in addition to bills and coins.  Beverage maker Dydo is now testing a facial recognition vending machine.






The project is a joint venture with tech giant NEC, using NEC's Bio-IDiom facial recognition systems. Users create an account on their smartphones and register their photos and credit cards. The machine lets you use your face and your four digit code (registered at the time the account is created). There is no need to insert coins or prepaid card. 


 Machines are in use at DyDo and NEC offices and factories as part of a three month trial.  If the trial goes well, the next step would be to introduce the machines to the open market.  


What do you think? Would you register and use a facial recognition drink machine? Personally, I would not.  I don't mind using coins.

6 comments:

kiwikid said...

I would prefer to use coins too, but then I am wary of too much technology. Old fogie?? 😁

Miranda said...

I think, if I were someone who frequently used a drink machine, I might do it for convenience. But I can't remember the last time I used one, so probably not worth the effort under current circumstances.

DUTA said...

Japanese are known for their innovations.
At my age, I don't like changes, especially where money is involved.
Technology sometimes intimidates me.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I think young people will embrace the technology. I think older people will not.
xx, Carol

Jeanie said...

An intereting concept but I don't think I'd do it.

Leonore Winterer said...

I think I'd stick with using coins or maybe the prepaid subway card. It's cool what is possible today, but I don't need to use every but of new technology!