Sunday, August 16, 2020

Quilt Fever

Because of the pandemic, many quilting events - big and small, are cancelled this year. The January 2021 Tokyo International Quilt Festival has already announced it won't be held.  


I came across this PBS short film (16 minutes, 10 seconds) about Quilt Week in Paducah KY. When I lived in southern Illinois, I attended this event every year, taking classes, visiting with friends, and of course, shopping. Hope you will enjoy this little film.  



The April 2020 Quilt Week in Paducah was cancelled, but here is a link to the 2021 event. The National Quilt Museum in Paducah is really wonderful and a great place to visit when it's not Quilt Week.

5 comments:

Vireya said...

This is the year of cancellations! Let's hope that in 2021 all these events will actually run.

Beatrice said...

I watched the film a couple of days ago. It reminded me of my own trip to the Paducah quilt show in 2002!
I didn't feel the short film was that good. It doesn't "tell" you much. I don't recall there being any info on attendance figures, for example. So not really a factual documentary. Not enough time to get to know the "characters" (apart from a lady winning a prize and Eleanor Burns). And not much about patchwork and quilting techniques, except a couple of shots of quilting machines in action!
Perhaps I'm being bit too harsh, probably because I miss quilt shows too! The next big one in France (Sainte Marie aux Mines, late September) has been cancelled, so was the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in the UK (in August). And I'm just an ordinary visitor. I can't imagine what it must be like for the vendors / shop owners who rely on those shows to make a living.
I hope to go to a quilt show in Japan one day. Perhaps in Yokohama?

Jeanie said...

Michigan State has quite a wonderful folk art section and with quilts. I hope to leave some of mine to them if they want them. (For a long time I collected vintage quilts; I'm out of room now!)

There was another PBS show -- something lke the "Quilters of Gee's Bend" that was fascinating some time ago. It may be online.

diamondc said...

Pamela: Your Temp quilt will be another lovely quilt, the vert dark colors are beautiful with the yellow.
Thank-you for sharing your progress and the video.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

It's a shame all the quilting events have to be canceled, but next year's will be twice as pretty, with everyone spending so much time at home and crafting!