Sunday, August 30, 2020

World Happiness Report



The 2020 World Happiness Report, which is the eighth annual report, is out. The report is compiled by a group of independent experts and is produced by the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network.  It uses six variables to measure the quality of life in more than 150 countries in the world: GPD per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom, generosity, and absence of corruption. 


What are the Happiest Countries this year? 

1. Finland 

2. Denmark 

3. Switzerland 

4. Iceland 

5. Norway 

6. The Netherlands 

7. Sweden 

8. New Zealand 

9. Luzembourg 

10. Austria 

11. Canada 

12. Australia 

13. UK 

14. Israel 

15. Costa Rica 

16. Ireland 

17. Germany 

18. US 

19. Czech Republic 

20. Belgium  


What do you think of the results? Is your country in the top 20?  (Japan is 62). I was surprised to see the US so high; it seems pretty sad right now.  Maybe this was compiled before the pandemic.



7 comments:

kiwikid said...

Nice to see NZ so high and Australia in there too, I am surprised to see the US there as well, this had to have been done before the pandemic.

Vireya said...

The calculation is probably based on the previous year's figures, so next year the ratings could be very different. I am actually surprised that Japan would be so far down the list. I would have expected them to be much higher in the list than the US.

Queeniepatch said...

I, too, am surprised that Japan is so low on the list. I am also surprised that Sweden is so high up - newspaper report are always full of moaning and groaning so it is easy to think Swedes are unhappy, apparently not!

Mia said...

My country (Greece) is not on Top20, but I think that 2020 is a difficult year for everyone in the world, due to the virus. Let's hope that all this mess will stop here. As for Greece, and all the Mediterranean countrie, we are happy people! Kisses, Pamela.

Jeanie said...

Fascinating list. I'm not surprised with anyone on the top ten. I'm amazed the U.S. is so high. Everyone I know wants to emigrate. Including me.

Leonore Winterer said...

I also think this list is pre-pandemic. I'm surprised to see both the US and UK this high on the list, they don't seem very happy to me this year. Germany is in the Top 20 as well - but we always love to complain while having it pretty good!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Of course this this is for at least the past year since 2020 is not yet over. The US being 18 is a surprise even for last year for ME. I'm really surprised that Japan is so low. What was going on there last year? Perhaps a weather pattern?
xx, Carol