Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Fall Imperial Garden Party Cancelled



Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako

In the spring and fall each year, garden parties are held at the Akasaka Imperial Gardens. The Emperor and Empress of Japan invite about 2000 guests who have been notable in the worlds of culture, sports, and culture. The Imperial Household Agency recently announced the fall party has been cancelled due to the pandemic. The spring event, which was to be the first hosted by the Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, was also cancelled.  The last time the event was not held was in spring 2011, after the devastating earthquake and tsunami in March of that year. 


Here are some photos from Garden Parties of the past.











I would like to attend.  How about you?




4 comments:

kiwikid said...

Not for me I don't think,I am not good in crowds and 2000 people is a lot of people,love to see photos when you go, the family look wonderful in their national dress.

Jeanie said...

Of course I would like to attend. But not this year!

Vireya said...

It looks like a very elegant event. I do not have anything I could wear to such a gathering!

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, this would be such an exciting event to attend I'm sure (without the pandemix, of course)! What a shame these cancellations have to fall within the first year of rule of the new emperor.