Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Lost in 2019


This is another "statistics in Japan" type post.  I am always amazed by how honest people, in general, are in Japan.  The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department reports that in 2019, 4.2 million lost items were turned into police stations, up 0.3% from the year before.  This included 3.9 billion yen in cash, an increase of 1.2% from the previous year. This was the highest amount handed in on record and the fourth consecutive year the amount of cash rose.  



Of the non-cash items turned in were 770,000 ID documents such as drivers licenses; 560,000 items of financial value such as smart cards, commuter passes, and gift certificates; 491,000 items of clothing and footwear; 372,000 wallets, and 349,000 umbrellas. A total of 248,000 cell phones were lost or misplaced in Tokyo, which works out to be almost 670 a day!  Of those, 153,000 were handed in to the police and 126,000 eventually returned to their owners.


According to the National Police Agency, items not claimed after three months by the original owner, go to the finder.  If after a further two months, the finder does not claim ownership, ownership passes to the prefecture.  Of the 3.9 billion yen in cash handed in to Tokyo police stations, 2.8 billion yen was returned to the original owners, 540 million yen went to the finders, and 492 million passed to the prefecture. 


I try to be careful not to lose anything, but I feel good knowing that if I did, I would probably get it back.  Have you ever lost anything of value and had it returned?

4 comments:

catarina said...

Several years ago some friends wanted to "go with you the next time you go to Japan". (Bad idea, for many reasons, but..) Anyhow we were on our way out of town from Tokyo's Oeno Eki when one of them lost her Rail Pass. She fretted about it all the way to Mashiko and back. On our return, I took her to the Lost Items booth late that night. And sure enough, there was her Rail Pass. She was surprised but I wasn't.

jacaranda said...

I visited the Imperial Palace garden, left my iPad on the seat in the rest area, realised and ran back, it was still on the seat. The lady sweeping, said she kept an eye on it as she knew I would return. I thanked her many times. That wouldn’t be the case where I live.

kiwikid said...

Wow,that is impressive. I haven't lost anything to have returned, but have handed in money found in the park while walking.

Leonore Winterer said...

I always try and turn in stuff I find (or place it in a visible place if it's stuff like mittens or hats), but usually don't have as much luck with stuff I lose!