Sunday, January 24, 2021

Dr. Jill Biden's Inauguration Party Outfit

Did you see the fabulous outfit worn by the First Lady to the evening inauguration event? It was a silk organza and silk wool dress, with a matching cashmere double breasted coat by Gabriela Hearst.









The dress and coat have the state flowers of all 50 states to express unity. The Delaware flower was placed on the heart of the dress, as the Bidens have been Delaware residents since 1996.  According to Gabriela Hearst, each flower took two to four hours to make. Inside the coat there is a quote by Benjamin Franklin that reads, "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember.  Involve me and I learn." The quote pays homage to Dr. Biden's life as an instructor in the education system.  The entire ensemble was created using pre-existing fabrics.

7 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

They do it right from the very start. Bravo!
Is that hand embroidery? The rose is surely 3D.

Vireya said...

It is a beautiful outfit. I love the matching mask, too.

Lin said...

Well I did miss that! It's gorgeous though - I love the thought that went into it. xx

FlashinScissors said...

Amazing outfit!
Barbara x

Jeanie said...

Her dress and coat were fabulous and she looked great in it. I especially loved the coat. Stunning.

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, that's gorgeous. I especially love the coat, it's so elegant - and all the hidden messages make it extra special!

Sara said...

Very thoughtful and symbolic.