Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Sumo and English Idioms

 

Photo from 2015 Sapporo Sumo experience


My upper level English students study English idioms.The students often laugh about how silly they sound and are confused about when to use them. Now that I am teaching the use of idioms, I am much more aware of when I hear them.  


I was watching the Tokyo New Year Grand Sumo Tournament on NHK World and I heard the English language commentator say that the rikishi (wrestler) would be back to square one after this match. "Back to Square One" was one of last week's idioms!  


Here is the background and the situation - - - The top division in Sumo consists of Yokozuna, Ozeki, Sekiwake, Komusubi, and Maegashira levels.  Yokozuna is the highest. The rankings change according to the rikishi's performance in the previous tournament. Except for Yokozuna, if the rikishi does not win 8 or more matches in a tournament, they fall back to the next lower rank at the next tournament. 


One of the Ozeki lost the match and would not be able to win 8 or more in this tournament.  The announcer said he would be back to square one at the sekiwake level in the next tournament. What a great example of this idiom!  


The two Yokozuma ranked rikishi are not competing in this tournament, one due to a back injury and one due to covid.  I think there are 65, including 16 in the top two levels who are not competing at this tournament due to being infected or being in close contact with someone who is infected. The audience is limited to 5000 spectators, all wearing masks, due to the pandemic.

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm not sure if I hit the captcha the first time I was here so if you get two comments from me, feel free to delete! But that's a great example of an idiom to teach -- and also fascinating to learn. I was curious as to the age range of your students.

jacaranda said...

On my last visit we wanted to go to a Sumo tournament and the museum, unfortunately the museum was closed and the tournament was not scheduled for that day. Next time....

kiwikid said...

Great example of the idiom.

Queeniepatch said...

That was good use of that particular idiom.
Many idioms are easy to use in the right situation. For a failed building plan you can 'go back to the drawing board', when you have accepted more than you can manage or eat you have 'bitten off more than you can chew'.
Difficult to understand are 'pull my leg', 'by the skin of your teeth', 'he has bigger fish to fry', or one of the favourites 'it's raining cats and dogs'.
Isn't teaching English fun and a challenge at the same time? It is hardly ever 'a piece of cake'.

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't know a thing about sumo, so it's interesting to learn about some of the traditions! I'm also glad they don't let traditions get into the way of being careful in this pandemic.