Sunday, January 31, 2021

The Crumbs

Have you heard of "Crumb Quilting"?  I hadn't until a few days ago.  I came across a YouTube video about it and since then have watched a couple more. It's about joining small scraps of fabric (called crumbs in these videos) and making a bigger piece that eventually becomes of quilt. 


I save leftover bits of fabric. First I cut any piece big enough into 2 1/2 inch squares for the hexagon projects.  Then, I put the smaller pieces or strips into a bag. My thought was that I might use them if I did some kind of applique. Here are the contents of my bag. 



It looked very easy when the woman on the video was putting odd things together, so I thought I could give it a try. I decided not to mix fabric types and am only using the cotton fabrics.


First I pressed some of the pieces and joined sets of two together with no plan, just joined sets of two in a string.  




After that I cut them apart and joined sets or added a new piece to a set.  I decided that was enough for one day.  




I will probably work on it a little more today. I might end up hating how it looks. What really attracts me to this project is using my "crumbs".  


What about you? Do you save the left over bits?  How small is too small? What do you do with your crumbs?

9 comments:

kiwikid said...

We were just talking about this last quilt group meeting, next ufo day the girls are going to sew their crumbs into blocks. They can make very effective quilt blocks.

Vireya said...

I've never figured out what size is too small to save. But I am becoming more ruthless about throwing away small bits. You can end up drowning in them otherwise. My only attempt at crumb quilting wasn't very successful, so I'll be interested to see what you create with yours.

Queeniepatch said...

I hadn't heard the expression before but I have seen what I now realise are crumb quilts. They often look fabulous but I doubt I would have the patience to make one - too much machine piecing without a plan, if you see what I mean.
Like Vireya, I have become more ruthless about tossing out small pieces. I have enough projects to deal with anyway...
Looking forward to your progress.

jacaranda said...

I have a large bag of 2 inch squares, but I can’t be bothered sewing them together. One day I will get around to it.

Lin said...

Like you I make hexagons or squares with my scraps and then the leftovers go into 4.5" crumb squares for a super scrappy quilt. It feels good to clear them away. xx

Ann said...

I will watch with interest. I've sewn crumbs together several times but quickly reached a point where they switched from good to terrible. Perhaps I should have stopped and made a block that size.

Jeanie said...

Seems like a crazy quilt in miniature. I've done that with my paper scraps over time -- always saving very small pieces. I think most of those I finally pitched!

Leonore Winterer said...

I used to save ridiculously small scraps and am trying to get better at throwing out things that *really* are to small so be of any use, but then you never know what project might come along!

Lyn Warner said...

What a lovely idea. I just can't throw out any little leftover pieces of fabric.