Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Do You Love Roller Coasters?


 

Japan has tons of different amusement parks, and lovers of these theme parks have their favorites. Fuji-Q Highland in Yamanashi Prefecture is the place for roller coaster lovers. 


The Do-Dodonpa, which opened in 2017, is one of the most popular coasters. It reaches a speed of 180 km (112 miles) per hour in 1.56 seconds. This acceleration subjects the body to 3.75 Gs, which is more than astronauts experience when blasting off in a space shuttle. 


As it turns out, that is more than some people can endure. A week ago the park announced that since December 2020, there have been four cases of broken bones in Do-Dodonpa riders between the ages of 30 and 59. (The age limit for roller coaster riders at this park is 64). These weren't broken fingers or arms, these were compression fractures in the necks and spines of the riders! After announcing the injuries, Fuji-Q set up a hotline for others who experienced extended physical pain after riding the Do-Dodonpa. Within two days they received an additional nine claims. 


This is a small percentage of the 210,000 riders of the Do-Dodonpa since December, but still if you are the one with the fractured spine, you know that it is too many. The Do-Dodonpa is currently closed while the prefectural and federal authorities check the ride out for possible violations of Japan's Building Standards Law. 


I've never been to Fuji-Q and probably won't go.  I used to like roller coasters when I was younger, but I don't think I need to ride one that breaks bones. What do you think - would you ride this roller coaster?

12 comments:

kiwikid said...

No thank you, the only roller-coaster I enjoyed was at Disneyland it was in the dark so you couldn't see where you were going!!! I went on another one in Germany many years ago, the girls I was with helped me off and took me off for a restoring schnapps!!

diamondc said...

Pamela: very interesting about the broken bones and fractures in the neck, I am not a fan of roller coasters, never have been, I am a big chicken with that idea of going on one of any kind even small ones.
I hope you are having great weather and having a load of stitching time.

Catherine

Vireya said...

Looks like I will be too old before I could get the chance to go on that. What a shame! (This is sarcasm.)

Rollercoasters are not my thing. I am shocked that they can actually cause injuries like that, as I had always imagined that they were designed to be scary but safe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jacaranda said...

Definitely not a fan of roller coasters, always fearful of my glasses flying off. Space Mountain at Disneyland in the dark was terrifying, never been on one since.

Anonymous said...

I like roller coaster that feel a little thrill. So,I can't ride 「Dododonpa」. Scary and impossible.

There who meet the conditions such as
age and height must be able to ride
safely. The cause or accident should be
clarified.

My favorite Amusement park is「Hanayashiki」. Location in Asakusa,
Taito-Ku,Japan.
There is no scream machine.
A retro Amusement park that anyone can
enjoy liisurely.

There is also a roller coaster.
「Hanayashiki」A course that is likely
to collide with a private house outside
the site.

I can fully enjoy the「Hanayashiki」
roller coaster.

Anonymous said...

I will correct my comment.
「Hanayashiki」roller coaster doesn't
collide with private hous.
Never collide!!.

I'm sorry I couldn't make a proper
sentence.
because my English ability is low.

Queeniepatch said...

NO, thank you!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

No WAY! Somewhere along the line I must have had my last rollercoaster ride. I can't remember when that was and at the time I'm sure I didn't know it would be my last. But I'm not interested anymore, and this one just seems criminal!

Sheryl said...

I dislike roller coasters, every year we seem to hear of somesort of accident in these parks. I don´t think there is a need to make these things forever faster, bigger, higher etc.

Jeanie said...

Not on a BET!

Leonore Winterer said...

I love roller coasters, but that sounds a little extreme - ouch!