Sunday, August 15, 2021

Hiroshi Yoshida Exhibit at the Shizuoka City Museum of Art

My friend gave me a ticket to see this exhibit. This is the first time I have been out anywhere in a very very long time. I took the train, wore a mask the entire time, and didn't go out to eat or shop or so anything else while I was in the City.


This is the exhibit poster on the train.



This was the sign in the underground walkway.




The museum seemed very safe, with timed tickets to limit the number of people, warnings to remind people to stay distanced, mask wearing requirements, temperature taking, and hand sanitizing. I knew nothing about Mr. Yoshida before going and I was very pleased that I went out to see the exhibit in spite of the delta variant.




A little background: Hiroshi Yoshida was born in September 1876 in Kurume, Fukuoka.  When he was 19 years old he was sent to Kyoto to study under Tamura Shoryu, then later with Koyama Shotaro in Tokyo. He had his first American exhibition at the Detroit Museum of Art in 1899. He traveled around the United States and Europe from 1899 to 1901, selling his watercolors. From 1903 to 1907, he traveled again in the US, Europe and also in North Africa. In 1920 he began designing his first woodcut prints. All of his prints and existing stock were destroyed in the Great Kanto Earthquake in September 1923.  He returned to the US to raise funds for himself and others.  As he toured the western US, he discovered good prints were wanted in North America. From 1925, he devoted his work to woodblock prints.  He continued traveling, including to the US and Canada, Europe, Egypt, and India in 1930-31; Korea and China in 1936; and in 1938 as an official war artist. His wife Fujio (1887-1987) and two sons Toshi (1911-1995) and Hodaka (1926-1995) were all print artists. Hiroshi Yoshida died in Tokyo in April 1950, at age 73. 


The museum exhibit was divided into about ten sections, with an explanation in Japanese and English at the start of each section.  All other information was in Japanese. The introduction explanations were very interesting and well written.  There was one large photograph of Princess Diana with two of his paintings in her office. 


I was very pleased to see a few of the paintings from the US and more of the ones in Japan were places I have visited and I recognized them. Two of them were views from my town. No picture taking allowed inside the exhibit. Here are a few pictures from the internet.







The last time I came to this museum, I had a coffee in the museum cafe, but not this time.



In the museum shop I did buy a couple of post cards from the exhibit pictures.



My little trip out didn't seem at all normal and maybe it won't ever be normal again.  I did enjoy my trip though.

11 comments:

jacaranda said...

Looks a wonderful exhibition, so pleased you were given a ticket ti view it. I am doing a Japanese Woodblock workshop in October.

DUTA said...

ן noticed in your post that his two sons died in the same year. At least, they didn't predeceased their parents. May they all rest in peace!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Pamela!

I also wanted to go to”Hiroshi Yoshida“
woodblock print exhibition.

I learned from a TV commercial.
The work was briefly introduced in the
commercial. I was interested when I saw the woodblock print.

Museums can deepen knowledge.There are
new discoveries without knowledge.

Above all,I like that should.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela said...

Toki,
Thank you for your comment. I can’t reply to you directly because your email is not connected to your blogger profile. The exhibit runs through August 29th. I hope you will be able to see it!

Vireya said...

I imagine you would have felt a bit nervous about the trip, but it looks like the exhibition was worth going out to see.

Queeniepatch said...

His work is beautiful.
I think he was lucky to be able to travel abroad as much as he did.
Good for you to get out and about to a place other than a secluded mountain temple!
Let's hope we will be back to normal some time soon.

catarina said...

I do hope that life is "normal" again soon. But in the meantime I enjoy reading your blog every day and seeing the photos of your area. Some day I'd love to be able to travel to Japan again.

kiwikid said...

So good to hear you had a good day out, that sounds like a great exhibition.

Jeanie said...

This is fascinating and I love the art. I'm so glad you were able to attend!

Leonore Winterer said...

It's difficult and scary to decide what steps to take back towards normality, but I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip!