Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Itabu Station's Toilet in Nature

Japan has many interesting train stations.  Today I'm writing about the train station toilet, that is outside!




Itabu Station in Chiba Prefecture is a small, unattended train station and has become famous because it has an outdoor toilet stall.  It was created by famed Japanese architect Sou Fujimoto in 2012 and is officially titled "Toilet in Nature".  


It is surrounded by an enclosure of 675 cedar logs (around 58 yards long). Inside is a single glass-walled cubicle in the middle of a garden.  There is a cherry tree that blooms in spring and many flowers. It's an ordinary toilet with toilet paper, a clean sink, and a small mirror.  There is also a curtain, if you are shy about using the toilet in such an open area. One more thing - this toilet is for women only, but there is a small unisex toilet nearby.




What do you think?  Would you use it?  Would you travel to Itabu Station especially to use it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll pass. Open space is can't relax.
Maybe....an unforgettable memory.

Miranda said...

I would definitely be taking advantage of the curtain.

Vireya said...

That's pretty amazing! If the station is unattended, who cleans the toilet cubicle? Unattended stations here don't have toilets.

Queeniepatch said...

I think it is a ridiculous idea, and it must be for promoting the village or the railway line.I would probably use it if I needed to go and the other toilet was occupied. I would not travel especially to use it.
Others do, though!. I just checked the street view of Google Maps and there were 11 cars parked nearby the Toilet In Nature!

I must admit I do see the need for 'al fresco toilets', for example while hiking in the woods. In Swedish you'd say: 'Jag ska bara gå bakom buske nummer fem', translated into English it would be: 'I'll just pop behind bush number five'. The others in your hiking party go ahead and you stay behind, and then catch up with them after you've seen to your business. You'd only leave behind natural waste and take home toilet paper, etc in a small plastic bag.
Should you be following a routed hiking course, though, there would be outhouses along the trail.

Lin said...

You certainly would feel like you are sitting on the throne there! Think I would have to be pretty desperate to use it though. xx

Jeanie said...

I wouldn't go there JUST to use it, but if you've gotta go, you've gotta go! And it DOES have a curtain....

kiwikid said...

I think I would use it, just sitting enjoying nature 😁

Leonore Winterer said...

I'd probably use it if I was nearby! I've had to 'go' in nature plenty of times before, but never this comfortably.