Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Nihondaira Hike

Last week I decided to take a hike to Nihondaira Yume Terrace.  I have hiked there twice before, once with a group of adventurous friends right after it opened, and once when I was going to meet Leonore (who blogs at Needle, Pen, and Sword) and friends from Germany, when I got lost. I chose a different route last week so I would not get lost again.


This is what Mt. Fuji looked like when I left home - just a little snow on top and clouds trying to hide it.



Although I knew people were cremated after death here, I never thought about where it was done.  Now I know.



It was an uphill walk and I had gorgeous views of Mt. Fuji.







My town has a professional soccer team and I was able to look down on the stadium as I walked.



That blob of clouds on the left is hiding Mt. Fuji. You can see Shimizu Port and Miho Penninsula and Suruga Bay.






It was a long hike, but I did finally get to the top.



Even though I had been there before, I took a look at the signs. I thought it odd that there were only a few people around.



I found out why.  Because of the State of Emergency, the Yume Terrace Building and other places were closed until the SOE ended on 9/30. 







This looks like a wife taking a picture of the husband, wearing a mask of course.



These signs are at the observation building, that was closed.




When I came before, they had some nice displays, and nice toilets inside.



I could still climb up the steps to the walkway for the view.








After taking in the view all around, it was time to go home. I had a nice long walk that day.

9 comments:

diamondc said...

Pamela: Nice place to hike to.

Catherine

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

blue and beautiful sky. It's snowing a little on Mt.Fuji.
I've been to Nihondara several time. Many years ago.So I've never been to Yume Terrace.
The person who designed the “National Stadium”which is the main Stadium of the “Tokyo Olympics 2020” also designed the Yume Terrace.
I'm interested . I'm also interested in ice cream. Looks delicious.😁
I always go by car. I have never thought of walking. Was the slope difficult? I'm glad I didn't get lost.🙌

Queeniepatch said...

Wonderful weather for a long walk. Sunny but not too hot I imagine.

crazyQstitcher said...

A wonderful view which ever way you look. The walking keeps you fit as well as enjoying views and temples. Mt Fuji looks fabulolus.

jacaranda said...

A beautiful day for your hike. Thank you for taking us along. I didn't realise you lived close to the Port and Peninsula. Lovely views as you walked up.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful place 5o hike to. The view of the mountain is spectacular.

Vireya said...

Thanks for all the photos of your hike! The view just got better and better the higher you got.

I hope the closed visitor centre didn't mean you had to go the whole day without a toilet stop.

Leonore Winterer said...

I was just talking to Steffi about our trip to Shizuoka earlier today. What a shame the terrace was closed - no yummy ice cream this time! But the view was still great.