Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Kenrokuen Garden - Part One

Kenrokuen is one of Japan's "Three most beautiful landscape gardens". Formerly these grounds were the outer garden of Kanazawa Castle and were constructed by the ruling Maeda family. The garden was opened to the public in 1971 and has an area of 11.4 hectares. 


The name Kenrokuen means "Garden of the six sublimities", referring to spaciousness, seclusion, artifice, antiquity, abundant water, and broad views, which are the six essential attributes that make up a perfect garden according to Chinese landscape theory. Water is diverted from a distant river by a water system constructed in 1632.




This is a breathtakingly beautiful place. There were quite a few people there when I was, but I felt like I had the place to myself.






















Stay tuned for the Plum Grove section of Kenrokuen...

6 comments:

Mylene said...

Beautiful views...looking forward to see more..thanks for sharing.

Toki said...

Kenrokuen is very famous and beautiful.
I have been to Kenrokuen before. At that time, I fell and put a bandaid on my knee. 😨
More embarrassing that painful.😅 So it's a place I remember well.

Queeniepatch said...

This is a garden of grand scale. The water and open spaces give you a good view so it is easy to stand back and enjoy the scenery. It must also be one of the best kept gardens in Japan.

Vireya said...

When I read this post in my blog-reader program, there were lots of beautiful photos of the gardens. But here on your blog they seem to be missing? I've refreshed the page a couple of times in case the problem was at my end, but the photos are not showing up, sadly.

Leonore Winterer said...

Like Vireya, I can't seem to find any pictures, which is a shame as I'm sure it is a beautiful place! I hope to find some in a different post :)

Leonore Winterer said...

I tried again from my phone and was finally able to view the pictures. How strange, both my laptop at home and PC at work refused!
I'm glad it worked though, it's such a beautiful place. Looks very peaceful.