Sunday, April 30, 2023

Shizuoka Municipal Serizawa Keisuke Museum

Yesterday, I visited the Shizuoka Municipal Serizawa Keisuke Museum. I visited once before in 2016, but it was good to visit again. 


Keisuke Serizawa (1895 - 1984), the leading figure in Japan's dyeing world, donated his works and collections to his home city, Shizuoka City. He was designated as a "Living National Treasure" by the Japanese government for his Katazome stencil dyeing technique. The museum opened in 1981 and has attracted many fans of dyeing. 


The buildings were designed by architect Seiichi Shirai (1905-1983) and are constructed with natural materials such as stone, wood, and water. The massive outer wall is made of piled stones. The exhibition room is made with Japanese oak. 









Photos were not allowed to be taken inside the museum, but here are a few photos of his work I found online.




This is a fabulous museum, and is a 35 minute walk from the Shizuoka JR station. Admission is 420 JPY. Here is some English information on this museum.

6 comments:

SUWA said...

I love this museum!
And I recommend the restaurant “mochi no ie” near the museum.

Queeniepatch said...

I am sure the exhibits are unique and beautiful, but so is the building. I love the small 'tsubo niwa' gardens in between the walls.

Toki said...

A museum I haven't been to yet.
You walked from the station. It's hard for me.
Amazing!🙌

Jeanie said...

From the online photos it looks like a lovely museum.

Vireya said...

The building and grounds are beautiful, even without the exhibition.

Leonore Winterer said...

I bet the inside of that museum was just as wonderful as the examples you found online!