Saturday, April 8, 2023

Oyama Jinga Shrine

Information from the internet:

Oyama Shrine (尾山神社, Oyama Jinja) is dedicated to Maeda Toshiie, the first lord of the powerful, local Maeda Clan. The shrine was constructed in 1599 by Toshiie's successor, Maeda Toshinaga on Mount Utatsu. It was later moved to its present location.

Oyama Shrine is known for its unusual gate, which was designed by a Dutch architect, using elements of European and Asian religious themes. While the first story displays a mixture of Japanese and Chinese influence, the upper stories once served as a lighthouse and feature a Dutch style, stained glass window.

The gate originally guarded the entrance to the palace of Kanazawa Castle, and was only later moved to Oyama Shrine. On the shrine grounds stands a statue of Lord Toshiie. There is also a nice strolling garden with ponds and bridges, designed to resemble harps and lutes. 


Wedding photos were being taken at the entrance.




It was interesting that the sign was in Japanese Braille, as well as Japanese and English.






























6 comments:

abelian said...

What a pretty place! I love the garden art with the frogs, on lily pads perhaps? Dot

Vireya said...

Wow! Such a beautiful building and garden.

diamondc said...

Pamela: Thank-you for sharing this beautiful place, I think the Braille is an amazing tool for the blind.
I love the frogs on the big lily pads.

Have a great day

Catherine

Toki said...

I have been to Oyama shrine before.
The first picture is a unique gate with Japanese,Chinese and Western influences.
The lightning rod above the gate is the oldest in Japan.⚡
I like Maeda Toshiie and his lawful wife Matsu, who are enshrouded at Oyama shrine. One of mine favorite Sengoku warlords.
Thank you for the photo.

Queeniepatch said...

There is so much I should have seen on my three visits to Ishikawa. I need to go back!

Leonore Winterer said...

What a pretty place. I'd love to go exploring - but I think those frogs are my favourite!