Monday, January 21, 2013

Good Girls and Boys

Back in December I gave the students in my English class the writing assignment of writing a letter to Santa Claus, telling him how they had been good girls and boys and what gifts they would like to receive. Each person read his or her letter aloud in class.

According to the letters, they had all been very good this year. They studied and did their homework; worked part time jobs to help pay expenses; brushed teeth every day;  learned a dance; began the study of education examination; helped mother cook; smiled and greeted everyone they met; trained and competed in their sports and activities; kept in good health; won the rugby inter-college tournament; among other things. I believe what they wrote.  They really were good this year.

They asked Santa for a variety of things: warm gloves, rugby shoes, a pet which is a dog if possible, lots of chocolate, a new rucksack; a boyfriend, skiwear, two kilos off (because she was going to her hometown to meet old friends and wanted to be thin), a kitten with the color of black, a car and a used one is okay, the peaceful world.  One asked for Santa's autograph, if he doesn't mind.

When they came back to class after New Year’s, I asked if Santa brought what they asked for and they said no!  Santa must not know where Hokkaido is.  Rudolph, please help!

Stitching
I worked off and on for a few days on a cross stitch dragonfly that may turn into an ornament someday, but it just wasn’t holding my attention.  I put it away and next, I pulled out a beaded necklace kit from some long past trip to Hobby Lobby, that I had already started. I bought it because I wanted to learn how to encase the cabochon bead but once I started working on it, I wasn’t so interested in the finished project, so it was put away unfinished.  It didn’t take all that long to finish it.  I’ll save the directions in case I want to cover a big bead like this again.

 
Now I have pulled out this little project – silk thread on 40 count silk gauze.  In the US I had a magnifier but I rarely used it so I didn’t bring it to Japan.  We’ll see how it goes, I might wish I had it.

No comments: