Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sunglasses in Hokkaido

I don’t often see anyone wearing sunglasses here, even with the bright snow.  Most people living here have dark eyes and maybe the sun doesn’t affect them so much.  I have grey eyes and am very sun sensitive. I almost always wear sunglasses when I am outdoors in the daytime.  I have dark prescription sunglasses and indoor glasses that turn dark when I am in sunlight.  They don’t lighten up as fast as I’d like when I come indoors, but otherwise I like them.  Recently someone asked me about wearing dark glasses.  She thought it strange for me to wear dark glasses and told me only the Yakuza (mafia) wear dark glasses in Japan.  Really?

Stitching progress
I’ve put a few more stitches in the silk gauze neko.

 
I finished the beaded fringe and have been working on the beaded embellishment on the body of the shawl.  There’s no diagram or pattern to tell me what to stitch where.  I’m just making it up as I go along.
 

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I, like you, almost always wear sunglasses outdoors and well remember similar comments when I lived in Japan. I hadn't thought it to be the colour of the eyes that made the difference to sun sensitivity - you are probably correct.