Friday, November 15, 2013

Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour

Sunday, Ted and I met three Outdoor Life students from the university for the Banff Mountain Film Festival in Sapporo. We were glad we bought tickets ahead of time because the 700 seat theater was sold out. The seats were general admission, so we arrived early and were able to sit in the fourth row.



I thought it would be good, but it was more than good. The films were exciting and inspiring and some were really scary.  While I was never the extreme outdoorsperson depicted in these films, I have had my share of outdoor adventure.  Seeing these films did give me a feeling of nostalgia and a realization that I’m older than I think I am.

There were two sets of six films, one at 1 pm and the second at 5:30 pm.  My favorite film was Crossing the Ice about two Australians who decide to try to be the first to ski from the edge of Antarctica to the South Pole and back, unsupported.  They were not as well prepared as others who had tried and failed in the past, but their friendship and determination made the difference.

You can see clips and info about the films here.  Check out the schedule for this World Tour – I highly recommend seeing it! 

No comments: