Sunday, July 19, 2020

Japan's National Ainu Museum

Proper distancing

Japan's first national museum dedicated to the northern Japan indigenous Ainu people opened to the public last Sunday after several delays due to the corona virus pandemic. It was originally scheduled to open on April 24th of this year. The new 8,600 square meter museum, located in Shiraoi, Hokkaido, is accepting 2,000 visitors a day on weekdays and 2,500 visitors on weekends.  All visitors must make reservations in advance to reduce the risk of coronavirus transmission. Individual adult tickets are 1200 yen and a one year pass for an adult is 2000 yen. The website is in English, as well as 6 other languages.


In 2008, the government of Japan recognized the Ainu as indigenous people who have their own language, religious and cultural identity. The ethnic minority suffered discrimination and land dispossession beginning in the Meiji Era (1868-1912). They struggled to maintain their culture and were prohibited from speaking their native language. 


photo from the internet


The Ainu also have a decorative needlework technique. I bought several books on the technique when I visited the Ainu Exhibit at the Art Museum in Sapporo, and saw examples at the Ainu Festival in 2016.  In 2014, I visited the Ainu Village at Akan Lake and in 2013 visited Pirka Kotan Ainu Culture Center. My first exposure to the Ainu, was at the Ainu Museum in Sapporo in 2012. 


I've just started a small new project using this technique and will have photos to show soon!

4 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

This is a museum I'd like to visit one day.
I have a book on Ainu textiles and in it I see there are 15 embroidery stitches listed. One of them is unique and I will be adding it to Sunday Stitch School. Thank you for leading me on my hunt for new stitches!

kiwikid said...

Nice to see the people have been recognised. Looking forward to your needlework.

Jeanie said...

This looks like a good event and museum. will look forward to see what you create in this tradition.

Leonore Winterer said...

I know I've read about the Ainu here before, but I still don't know a lot about them. Looking forward to seeing your needlework!