Friday, January 14, 2022

Kanegasaki Shrine

 


I spent the night in Shiga, and traveled to Tsuruga Station in Fukui Prefecture the next morning.  The snow continued and even got worse.  (Train window views)







My plan was to visit Kanegasaki Castle Ruins. It was very windy and a snowy slush was falling from the sky.  Not a great weather day.



Along the way, I saw this train car, not sure what it is about.




I came to a shrine and thought I must be near the castle ruins.





I walked up all the steps.  I could see foot prints, so I know someone had been there, but I didn't see anyone.




When I got to the top, I looked all around, but couldn't find anyway to get to any castle ruins.  








The weather was getting worse, so I decided to be happy I found the shrine and head back to the train station. Google maps couldn't get me any closer.


5 comments:

Jeanie said...

You are a brave soul with, no doubt, good shoes for winter climbing! That's quite the snow. It reminds me of our visit to Yamagata eons ago and climbing up and up all sorts of very slippery steps to the top of a wonderful viewing spot. I'm glad you saw the shrine -- and got back to the train with no incident!

kiwikid said...

Looks a lovely place to visit even in the snow.

crazyQstitcher said...

I hope you were well rugged up! It looks so cold, yet beautiful also.

Vireya said...

That does look cold! The shrine looks beautiful enough anyway, even if the ruins were inaccessible.

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a lot of snow for the southern half of Japan! I wonder if it's like the last time you went out looking for ruins - that the shrine somehow went on top of them?